It was the Summer of 1981 when Travis Renick was brought kicking & screaming into this world. A tried & true native Texan, parents from Michigan, Travis was brought up in Houston until his turbulent teens.
You see, Travis's youth was filled with hardships and tragedy which lead him down some unsavory paths. All might of been lost for Travis if it wasn't for his natural ability to draw and I mean draw well. Art was his salvation, his only ticket out. If it wasn't for his love of the visual arts, Travis felt that he might have ended up in either the Army or in jail. Possibly fearing this fate as well, Travis's mother decided to move the two of them up to Dallas for a fresh start. So at the age of 16, right in the middle of his high school career, Travis started anew. His mother let him pick the school of his choice, one with a strong Arts program. At his new school, Travis excelled in not only two different Advanced Placement programs focused in Art but also as a member on the school newspaper as the staff artist with his very own monthly comic strip titled "Spasm". With his focus and talents sharpened, Travis had high hopes of making a living off what he always loved to do most, draw & create art.
With that firmly in his heart & mind, Travis headed right to college straight after graduating high school. His one & only choice was to attended the School of VISUAL ARTS in New York City. He thought if he was going to do this, he was going to do it right. And no better place for a young artist to be then NYC; birth place of punk, home to the Ramones, famous for it's pizza, what more could a young guy want?! From the years of 2000-2004, Travis lived, played, created & honed his skills in the streets & classrooms of NYC. Taught by some of the great working professional artist such as; Klaus Janson, Gary Panter, Scott Harrison, Thomas Woodruff, Jessica Abel & Matt Madden. They all played a huge role into Travis becoming a more disciplined & skilled artist that he is today. Friends came and went during his stay in NYC, as well did girlfriends & apartments but Travis keep trucking along. All the blood, sweat & tears that "The City" poured down upon him, it all ending with his greatest accomplishment yet; graduated & received his Bachelors in Fine Arts with his focus in Cartooning & Illustration. After his schooling, Travis spent some time in California, bouncing around from warehouse work to a graphic design gig to being a"pool boy" all the while holding on tightly to his true calling, art.
Realizing that California wasn't shaping up for him, Travis returned back to his birth state of Texas. There he meet the one & only girl that truly cared and accepted all aspects of him, making his full circle of a journey completely serendipitous. They both currently lives in the state's capitol of Austin, with their dog, Liam...children coming soon. Travis currently works as a haberdasher during the day and continues working as a freelance artist during any free waking moment.
- JACK OF ALL TRADES . ARTIST FOR HIRE -
Snap-Shot of Travis. Austin, TX. 2012.
- CURRENT RESIDENCE: Austin, TX.
- PREVIOUS RESIDENCE:
Houston, TX., Dallas, TX., New York, NY.
Queens, NY., Los Angels, CA., Chico, CA.
- FAVORITE MOVIES: Gangs of New York, Road Warrior, Doomsday(2008)
- FAVORITE MEDIUMS: Pen & Ink, Acrylic, Gouache, Oils, Bic Pens, Stencil & Spray Paint, Collage, Zip-A-Tone, Markers, Photoshop(?), Screen Printing of any kind
- FAVORITE VIDEO GAMES: Fallout 3, Bioshock, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Resident Evil series, SimCity, Silent Hill, Rygar on the NES, Left 4 Dead, Command & Conquer
- FUN FACTS: Travis's first name is his mother's maiden name. William Barret Travis(Alamo fighter) is Travis's great(5x) Uncle. Travis's great Grandfather was in The Black Watch & was one of the last to still wear their kilts into battle. Wishes some one would successfully make a Chinese food themed pizza. Favorite animal is a Vulture, next would be a Hyena. Has never seen the movie Titanic(1997) & is proud of it. Wants to have 3 children; 2 boys and 1 girl. Prefers the fall/winter seasons.
- THE WHOLE STORY. THE SHORT VERSION -